Scholarship support from IUBH during these difficult times.
If you have been affected by Covid-19 in any way, please contact us.
IUBH Scholarship support during these difficult times.
If you have been affected by Covid-19, contact us.
Apply now

Visa application advice

What does it take to get a student visa and come to Germany?

What does it take to get a student visa?

Request your information material for free now!

In your free study brochure you will find all important information about your study programme and about IUBH Online.

Visa Process & Requirements

Who needs a visa?
It’s a big world, and requirements to enter Germany can vary depending on your home country. Generally, non-EU students need to apply for a visa.

Visa and Immigration Advice for Germany

Students from these areas do not need a visa or residence permit for Germany:
  • EU and EEA (European Economic Area):
    all EU member states plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein
  • Switzerland

They receive a "Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung" (freedom of movement certificate) upon registering with the local authorities.
Students from these areas do not need a visa to enter Germany:
  • Andorra
  • Australia (including the Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Norfolk Island, Christmas Island)
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • El Salvdor
  • Honduras
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand (including the Cook Islands, Niue, and Tokelau)
  • San Marino
  • Republic of South Korea
  • Switzerland
  • USA (including the US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Northern Mariana Islands)

You will be required to apply for a residence permit upon enrolment.

Student Recruitment Team

All other students require a German student visa (issued by a German Embassy or Consulate) before entering Germany. If you are not sure about the process, please contact our International Admission team.

If you come from a country (other than those already mentioned above) whose citizens may enter Germany for short-term stays of no more than 90 days without a visa, you will still need to be in possession of a German student visa to enroll and apply for the residence permit. Please do not enter the country as a tourist, as without a student visa, you will not be enrolled and you will not be able to apply for a student resident permit.

Applying for your student visa for Germany

An application for a student visa is always connected to different requirements, like to get in contact with the authority or to submit specific documents that you should be aware of, before starting the student visa process.

You can apply for your student visa at the German mission nearest to you. The addresses of German missions around the world can be found here. You need a student visa to enroll at the IUBH. In accordance with German law, the visa officer must carefully assess your motivation to study in Germany. This means that you must provide all the necessary documents as well as demonstrate your personal commitment and sincerity.

Visa processing may take several months, please make sure you apply well in advance. For more information on visa processing times and documents required, please visit the website of the German embassy in your home country.

Once you receive the student visa and you are successfully enrolled on campus, you will be issued a student resident permit by the Foreign Office in charge.

You will normally be required to submit the documents listed below. The embassy, however, can ask for additional documents or further clarifications.

Please check your local embassy or consulate for details - these are valid for your application.

  • Visa application form (available at the embassy or on the embassy’s website)
  • A valid passport
  • Letter of Admission and letter from the registrar's office
  • Proof of sufficient funding (see below)
  • Two passport photos (special regulations, please check on the website of the German embassy in your home country)
Svg Vector Icons :
Svg Vector Icons :